Saturday, July 15, 2006

Nettles to increase urine flow & volume (BPH)

Nettles
Often contained in formulas including saw palmetto and pygeum, preliminary studies have shown that nettle extract will also work alone to reduce symptoms of BPH such as increasing urinary volume and maximum flow rate of urine. 28, 29, 30
Dose
An appropriate amount appears to be 120 mg of nettle root extract (in capsules or tablets) twice per day or 2 to 4 ml of tincture three times per day.

  1. Koch E, Biber A. Pharmacological effects of sabal and urtica extracts as a basis for a rational medication of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Urologe 1994;334:90–5.
  2. Metzker H, Kieser M, Hölscher U. Efficacy of a combined Sabal-Urtica preparation in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Urologe B 1996;36:292–300.
  3. Safarinejad MR. Urtica dioica for treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia: a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study. J Herb Pharmacother 2005;5:1–11.

1 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Blogger chaindropz said...

I have used Celestial Seasonings Wild berry zinger Tea for BPH for over 10 years. My GP Doctor knows that I use this tea and my new Urologist does not think I have bph. My former Urologist about 16 years ago told me that I should concider an operation to open me up. My family History is not good. I have two brothers that have been operated on for Prostate cancer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home